EARTH RESOURCES ENGINEERING AND ENVIRONMENT
The Interuniversity Consortium for Earth Resources Engineering (CINIGeo) is a public corporation based in Rome and founded in 1988 by the Universities of Bologna, Cagliari, Roma “La Sapienza” and Trieste. All these universities have a long tradition and excellent skills in mining and primary and secondary raw materials sectors, involving exploration, exploitation, processing, to boost sectorial competitiveness.
CINIGeo aims (i) to promote research and other scientific activities in the field of earth resources and technologies, environment, energy and sustainable development, (ii) to coordinate their application among universities, other research institutions and industries and (iii) to facilitate the access and participation in the management of national and international laboratories. Thanks to the involvement of 4 universities, CINIGeo is able to provide technical and scientific support in issues concerning Earth Resources Engineering and Environment. Furthermore, CINIGeo has a network of laboratories that can carry out tests both at laboratory and pilot scale.
CINIGeo research topics relevant to EURELCO activities are as follows:
• Environmental evaluation of production activities, such as Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA);
• Life Cycle Assessment of materials and products;
• Raw materials valorisation and recycling;
• Systems and methods for environmental management;
• Risk analysis of production activities;
• Characterization and remediation of contaminated sites (on land/at sea);
• Energy and environmental policy;
• Aquifers engineering and analysis of their vulnerability;
• Evaluation and modeling of resources (rocks and industrial minerals);
• Modeling of metal deposits through advanced technologies.